Sunday, April 5, 2009

The tasty food: stiky rice cake

G'day classmat!
Did you hear about rice cake? it's traditional snack in Spring festval in China. I'm fond of that.
We'll got a class party tomorrow and I'll bring some rice cake I made. I'm not good at it, but I've made that before and practiced for a few times so as to make perfect one for you, my dear mates.
Do you know why we chinese have rice cake at the turn of the year? The answer is below.
One popular dessert eaten during Chinese New Years is Nian Gao (年糕). One of the reasons it's eaten during this time is because the words "nian gao (粘糕)", meaning "sticky cake," sounds just like the words 年高, which means something along the lines of "growing taller every year." Similar to "a pinch to grow an inch," this is just used to wish the person good health in the new year.
In a word, hope you try and enjoy it at the grand party.

faithful classmate
Wayne

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Wayne! Your "speciality of the house" was excellent and kept the warm of your beautiful soul.

    ReplyDelete